Lyndhurst, Tarrytown

in Museums

635 S Broadway, Tarrytown, NY 10591, (914) 631-4481
Lyndhurst is a Gothic Revival mansion whose 67-acre grounds offer fine views of the Hudson River. The house, clad in Sing Sing marble, was designed in two stages by Alexander Jackson Davis. In 1838, he created a Gothic villa for William Paulding, a former mayor of New York City; 26 years later, he doubled the house’s size, adding a four-story tower and porte cochere for New York businessman George Merritt. For both men, Davis also designed Gothic-style furniture, which the home’s third owner, railroad magnate and stock manipulator Jay Gould, retained and complemented with furnishings of his own. Gould’s daughter, Anna, gave the estate to the National Trust for Historic Preservation in 1961. The house contains stained glass, faux finishes, and murals. Particularly impressive are the dining room, created to resemble a medieval banquet hall, and the two-story-tall art gallery.  The grounds, combining sweeping lawns and groupings of magnificent specimen trees, also feature a rose garden with more than 500 varieties and a restored fern garden, as well as the estate’s carriage house, bowling alley, and conservatory. The carriage house contains an exhibit about the house’s various owners and a small café.  914-631-4481.